Engineering & STEM Career Fair (new location)
Open to all UW-Madison currently enrolled students and degreed UW-Madison alum. Student ID required.
Career Fair Tips
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Before Going to the Career Fair
Before you arrive, we urge you to:
- Activate/update your Handshake account by developing an effective profile and tailoring your career interests section
- Develop a personal resume to bring to the fair – see resources here
- Research employers of interest prior to speaking to them; develop good questions and points of conversation.
- Read their descriptions, find their job posting and review their websites. Know why you are interested in approaching each company.
- Plan your time carefully in order to speak to all employers of interest.
- On your Handshake account, you can sort employers based on your major, day of attendance and other parameters.
- Develop your introduction (1 minute) – include important details such as: your name, your major or interest area, your current job focus, and your interest in this specific employer.
- Plan what you will wear – business casual attire is recommended: dress pants or khakis (no jeans), dresses, skirts, blouses, collard shirts. If you prefer to wear a suit, go for it!
When to Attend - Multiple Days
It is important to attend each day because while the career fairs take place on multiple days, employers choose only ONE day of attendance. So, each day of the Engineering & STEM fair, different employers will be available to talk with you about career opportunities.
Come and talk with employer representatives to find out:
• what opportunities are available
• what the day-to-day experience is of an employee
• what the work environment is like
• training programs and employer education
Many employer representatives are also alums!
What to Bring to the Career Fair
- UW-Madison ID (required for entrance). Alumni, please contact ECS for attendance guidelines.
- A portfolio or folder containing several copies of your resume, a notebook or blank paper, and pen/pencil.
- It is ok to bring your backpack as you may be coming from or going to class after attending the fair
- Be yourself!